Re: /lib/

From: Olaf Kirch (
Date: 04/23/02

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:27:53 +0200
From: Olaf Kirch <>
To: Sabau Daniel <draven@UBBCluj.Ro>

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 09:43:32AM +0300, Sabau Daniel wrote:
> boxes and i've been succesfull, please if anyone know how to eliminate
> this hole in my security give me a replay. If i try to change the mode on

You can't fix it. You can always do

        cp file-with-mode-444-perms ./foobar
        chmod +x foobar

Unix file permission bits aren't really orthogonal, especially r and x.
Even though it may give some admins a deep feeling of satisfaction,
playing with the r and x bits accomplishes nothing in terms of security.

Olaf Kirch        |  Anyone who has had to work with X.509 has probably   |  experienced what can best be described as
------------------+  ISO water torture. -- Peter Gutmann