Re: hello

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: 04/06/02

To: xzchen <xzchen@sei.xjtu.edu.cn>
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 23:59:24 -0500

On Sat, 06 Apr 2002 10:16:19 +0800, xzchen <xzchen@sei.xjtu.edu.cn> said:

> Hi,I am engaged in the vulnerability assessment. Now I am lack of
> the statistic results about the exploting incidents of some
> vulnerabilities.How can I get some statistic data about the
> exploting incidents of some vulnerabilities? Please provide me some
> reference. Thank you.

Vulnerability assessments are usually made on a specific
program/site/network. As a result, simply throwing statistics like
"18 million hosts were infected with Nimda" doesn't tell you
*ANYTHING* about whether your target is vulnerable to anything, Nimda
or otherwise. On the other hand, *IF* your network contains Linux
systems, Dave Dittrich's estimate of how long an unpatched Linux
system survives may be useful information.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer