Re: OS X Shell Code

From: Josha Bronson (dmuz@slartibartfast.angrypacket.com)
Date: 01/10/02

Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:37:06 -0800
From: Josha Bronson <dmuz@slartibartfast.angrypacket.com>
To: fintler <fintler@msec.net>

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 04:38:54PM -0500, fintler said:
> Here's a sample of ppc shellcode (should work fine on mac os x) on ppc you
> have to worry about the link register having the return address, along with
> the copy on the stack, so it's not like you can just overwrite it like in
> x86. Makes it harder to overflow those off by ones I guess...this was
> written by someone named "Chris Shepard" I think:

Which leads to my next question, I am messing around with an app in OS X
that has an overflow condition, and this is my first time working with
non x86 based debugging, etc and I am a bit lost (where's the eip? ;).
Any good links/references for PPC specific ASM and/or overflow
techniques or tutorials?

> char shellcode[] =

Thanks, this is very helpful...

--
Josha Bronson
dmuz@angrypacket.com

Relevant Pages

  • Is there a similar ng where I can ask about ppc asm ? (indirect addressing in ppc asm)
    ... In fact I'm porting a logic program compiler from x86 to ppc and I have trouble with one thing ... save link register on the stack ... it's old and it's focusing main on mac system, pre OS X, programming) ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Is there a similar ng where I can ask about ppc asm ? (indirect addressing in ppc asm)
    ... In fact I'm porting a logic program compiler from x86 to ppc and I have ... : only indirect branching through the link register or ctrl register are: allowed so do I have ... store general register to link register ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: : Welcome to lockdown - HP limiting access to patches
    ... had hoped going x86 would change that. ... Of course it did not "go under because it was on PPC". ... OS/2 Warp 4 appeared 1996, so IBM still invested in the product, ... but one can't do marketing against the market. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: State of MorphOS?
    ... Given Apple's recent announcement of moving Macs to Intel, and IBM more interested in supplying low cost PPC chips to all three major game console vendors, I hate to say it, but MorphOS developers would probably do well to *seriously* consider moving to either x86 or possibly IBM's Cell architecture. ... It is a shame however, as the architecture still holds a lot of promise, but IBM isn't willing to invest the R&D to scale it up, nor is Apple, and Freescale just doesn't have IBM's resources to do the same either in any timeframe that will keep it competitive with AMD or Intel's roadmaps. ... do a multicore variant of AMD's x86with a PPC core thrown in. ...
    (comp.sys.amiga.morphos)
  • Re: Two Click disassembly/reassembly
    ... not take full advantage of the unique elements of the PPC architecture, ... This is standard assembly language programming stuff we're talking ... part of the programmer. ... translation of x86 code to PPC just isn't going to be very good. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)