Can anyone verify a core dump on /sbin/mingetty

From: smackenz (smackenz@brad.ac.uk)
Date: 12/03/01

From: smackenz <smackenz@brad.ac.uk>
To: vuln-dev@securityfocus.com, bugtraq@securityfocus.com, focus-linux@securityfocus.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:46:31 +0000

*nix Issue - Anyone with 'mingetty':

After all the vi overflows, and wu-ftpd etc recently I thought I would have a
sniff around a default redhat 7.1 box too see what I could find. Anyway I
managed to dump core on /sbin/mingetty and thought it would be worth
reporting:

See below for the shell out:

[m0le@mainframe m0le]$ /sbin/mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[m0le@mainframe m0le]$ id
uid=500(m0le) gid=500(m0le) groups=500(m0le)

(standard user account)

This only works by doing this:

/sbin/mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`

when I did the following:

[m0le@mainframe m0le]$ cd /sbin
[m0le@mainframe /sbin]$ ./mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`
Segmentation fault
[m0le@mainframe /sbin]$

No core dump.... It doesn't seem to dump in the sbin directory, however I've
successfully dumped from several other dir's.

I am running a RedHat7.1. I would appreciate some feedback from other
distros whith mingetty running.

Thanks

Scott Mackenzie.

Relevant Pages