Re: Civil Disobedience

From: TD - Sales International Holland B.V. (td@salesint.com)
Date: 10/16/01

From: "TD - Sales International Holland B.V." <td@salesint.com>
To: "John Thornton" <jthornton@hackersdigest.com>, <declan@wired.com>, <ah@well.com>, <vuln-dev@securityfocus.com>, <oth@2600.com>
Subject: Re: Civil Disobedience
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:22:12 +0200

I'm with you.... Personally I think it's all in mentality... You have people
that solve crossword puzzles, hackers and crackers and a whole lot of
others.. If somebody just cracks my box as a mental challenge (thus figuring
out how to do it himself without scripts n stuff) and does no damage
whatsoever and sends me an email stating he cracked my box and did no damage
like installing root kits etc I have NO problem whatsoever with the guy/girl,
if he cracks my box to down a service/delete files etc it's a whole different
thing. Under this law they'll be the same, I don't think that is
justifiable...

Is there some sort of petetion against this or anything else? If so am I
allowed to sign it (I'm from the netherlands, born and raised)? If not
somebody might want to set one up...

regards

On Monday 15 October 2001 16:29, John Thornton stuffed this into my mailbox:
> ( Moderator: Please pass this though Blue Boar. Please just allow this
> thread even if it is just for a day )
>
> In case you have been living under a rock the past few weeks. You should
> know that our civil liberties are under attack. Kevin Poulsen wrote:
> "Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life imprisonment
> without the possibility of parole under legislation proposed by the Bush
> Administration that would classify most computer crimes as acts of
> terrorism."
> ( http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257, Hackers face life imprisonment
> under 'Anti-Terrorism' Act). When you read the news this morning you will
> see that this bill was passed by the Senate.
> (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill).
>
> I will say that most of the readers of this news group are not hackers but
> Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community.
> That is why I am asking you, not to report minor scans against your network
> to the abuse department of any ISP if this bill becomes law.
>
> I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to
> check my logs for scans against my network every morning and send the logs
> of attacks to the abuse department of the ISP. I encourage every Network
> Administrator I ever talked to follow this practice to this day. It is my
> job Network Administrator to report these attacks on my network, it is what
> I am paid to do. However if/when this bill becomes law I will no longer
> report these attacks and I urge every Network Administrator to join me in
> this Civil Disobedience Protest against this bill.
>
> If/When this bill becomes law, Hackers/Script Kiddies will no longer be
> looked at as just kids messing around with computers, but as terrorists.
> Just as the press started to tell the difference between a criminal who
> uses computers and a Hacker. Now they all are just going to be terrorist. I
> have a problem with this.
>
> Perhaps you think this could not happen to you. Well I would suggest you
> read the story on Jerome Heckenkamp ( http://www.freesk8.org/ ). I
> contributor to BugTraq who wrote a exploit for qpop who is now facing 16
> counts of computer crimes, a maximum sentence of 85 years, and up to $4
> million in fines. After Qualcomm reported him to the FBI. This case is
> harsh now, just imagine if this happen under the 'Anti-Terrorism' bill.
> This could happen to you.
>
> Again, I have always felt it was my duty to report attacks against my
> network to there ISP. I looked at it as doing my part to make the internet
> more secure. I figured it is a good lesson for the kid to have his service
> taken away. If this bill becomes law then its no longer just some kid
> getting his service taken away. It is something that can escalate to much
> more and could result to some kid going to jail for a long time. I will not
> [...]

Relevant Pages

  • Civil Disobedience
    ... "Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life imprisonment ... (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill). ... Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community. ... I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • RE: Civil Disobedience
    ... Subject: Civil Disobedience ... (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill). ... Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community. ... I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Civil Disobedience
    ... Subject: Civil Disobedience ... I would put it to you that there are far more hackers subscribing to this ... >(http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill). ... >Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • RE: Civil Disobedience
    ... primary area of concern in regards to "losing civil liberties" in this bill. ... > Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security Community. ... > I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine to ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Civil Disobedience
    ... Subject: Civil Disobedience ... >> see that this bill was passed by the Senate. ... >> Network Administrators that are very involved with the Security ... >> I as a Network Administrator for many years now have been on a routine ...
    (Vuln-Dev)