Re: Hidden Folders

From: Felix Domke (tmbinc@gmx.net)
Date: 09/12/01

From: "Felix Domke" <tmbinc@gmx.net>
To: <vuln-dev@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Hidden Folders
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:09:14 +0200

To the "hidden file" discussion:

There is a HUGE difference between physically hidden files (dos-attributes)
and the "desktop.ini"
the latter only "works" for explorer.

mine looks like this: (%windir%\fonts\desktop.ini)

[.ShellClassInfo]
UICLSID={BD84B380-8CA2-1069-AB1D-08000948F534}

this uid resolves to a "fontext.dll"-entry, with a special default icon and
a different text.

I remember of a Win NT4 servicepack which got accidental a
"Fonts"-desktop.ini, which disabled browsing through that directory using
the explorer.
you can have more fun with the desktop.ini by using backgrounds, crashing
icons as default icon (i got such an icon which immediately crashes the
explorer), and off course these uids. you can build a trash, a control panel
and much much more - but nothing really usefull for exploiting. (anyone more
familar with this topic?)

bye,
felix domke

Relevant Pages

  • Re: My Computer icon disappeared.
    ... Enable/Disable My Computer Icon ... It also hides links to My Computer in the Web view of all Explorer ... Start menu, the Explorer folder tree pane, and the Explorer Web views. ... the user manages to navigate to My Computer, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Multiple desktop icons in Explorer
    ... I too have the same problem with multiple "copies" of the desktop icon ... appearing in my windows explorer. ... >>> Sometimes after opening Windows Explorer and doing a few things (view ...
  • Re: "HTML Document", .html , .htm , (htmlfiles)
    ... Some icons in My Computer, Windows Explorer, on the desktop, or in the Quick ... It has changed its Icon!! ... associated to open with which is Internet Explorer ... > The Only File Type That Has Internet Explorer Icon under Registered ...
  • "HTML Document", .html , .htm , (htmlfiles)
    ... Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types - ... >Would You please tell me how can I Fix the Icon ... >I posted this Problem Under Subject: HTML and I've ... >the Change Icon button opens another window....... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: AS Icon Disappears from Tray
    ... It sounds like if the entire taskbar disappears that your explorer ... activesync but in the windows installation itself ... Is the icon for ActiveSync being hidden as are other ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)