Re: Sun Sep 9 01:46:40 2001 GMT

From: Joseph Mallett (jmallett@NewGold.NET)
Date: 08/29/01

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:55:41 +0000
From: Joseph Mallett <jmallett@NewGold.NET>
To: Rķkharšur Egilsson <Rikhardur.EGILSSON@oecd.org>
Subject: Re: Sun Sep 9 01:46:40 2001 GMT

It will affect people who use braindead sorting algorithms in things like
perl to sort dates in unix time() format.

I guarantee it will be a bigger problem than Y2K, but that is not saying
much at all.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 11:03:30AM +0200, Rķkharšur Egilsson wrote:

> Has anybody done any research in what production systems (web, mail-
> servers, OSes etc) might have a problem at :
>
> perl -e 'print localtime(1000000000) . "\n";'
>
> The only thing I have found, so far, is this (old) version of KMail :
> http://dot.kde.org/985599243/
>
> The whole issue, and the absense of any discussion, looks like either,
>
> (1) A disaster just waiting to happen or
>
> (2) A non-problem.
>
> Personally my wote is for (2).
>
> For vulnerable systems, there might be a problem if the system accepts
> dates from users and a user enters a date after September 9th 2001.
> (buffer overflow ?)
>
> --
> Rķkharšur Egilsson - Networking/Security EXD/ITN/CCO
> OECD/OCDE - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development

Joseph A. Mallett
http://srcsys.org

xMach Core Team, www.xMach.org

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sorting data - hash vs. list
    ... Like a format file and a data file pair. ... >> into memory to sort it. ... Trying to stick with perl. ... >One of the tips in the guidelines is to post code. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: Compare 2 files and put the matching part in a 3rd file
    ... >> Is anything known about the format of the files and in what ways they ... Doing a general comparison and present the differences as ... If the files are not very large, reading in their contents into perl ... and sorting there will be OK, otherwise it's better to sort them on disk. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • beginners Digest 28 May 2008 16:42:36 -0000 Issue 3467
    ... First time using Perl & PDF::API2 ... Getting Segmentation fault ... 101000 by: Rajnikant ... I use sort to give the max of an array something like this ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: Thinking about a new shell
    ... "ls" has some intrinsic sort capabilities, ... "sort" command could have a complete set of capabilities, ... or have the option to format output individually. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Completely baffled on what should be simple
    ... the same thing I previously did, changing format to custom ... sort, it didn't work. ... if a cell contains the text ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)