Re: WINDOWS XP NTP

From: John Galt (galt@inconnu.isu.edu)
Date: 08/21/01

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:05:29 -0600 (MDT)
From: John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To: Dino <slayer67@apk.net>
Subject: Re: WINDOWS XP NTP

locutus#ntptrace time.windows.com
time.windows.com: stratum 2, offset 0.002825, synch distance 0.06490
time.nist.gov: stratum 1, offset 0.004652, synch distance 0.00000, refid 'ACTS'

Locutus is most definitely not a windows XP box :)

I'm still guessing that any and all NTP 'sploits are prefectly valid for
Win XP, and even more so, since there is a default attack vector. You can
get substantial coverage with a script that forges an NTP packet from
time.windows.com (207.46.228.33 according to my dig, but it's
non-authoritative...) The fun part is they're .60 seconds off NIST:
pathetic for a stratum 2.

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare

Who is John Galt? galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Packet timestamps when using Windows-7/Vista
    ... I've written a small program which sends some SNTP packets to various NTP ... This looks like the clock interpolation works pretty good here. ... and there also needs to be a conversion from one tick rate to ... Windows value based on a one millisecond timer. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Packet timestamps when using Windows-7/Vista
    ... I've written a small program which sends some SNTP packets to various NTP ... This looks like the clock interpolation works pretty good here. ... time between packet reception and transmission of a reply. ... Windows value based on a one millisecond timer. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Packet timestamps when using Windows-7/Vista
    ... I've written a small program which sends some SNTP packets to various NTP ... This looks like the clock interpolation works pretty good here. ... and there also needs to be a conversion from one tick rate to ... Windows value based on a one millisecond timer. ...
    (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
  • Re: Non-administrators can change time?
    ... Windows Server 2003 DOES have built in NTP service and can provide time syncronization to clients. ... the default is for all member computers to syncronize their time with a domain controller. ... Everything else required to keep all the domain controllers and domain members in sync is done automatically by the Windows Time Service. ... > Configure Windows NTP Client Enabled ...
  • Re: NTP on OpenVMS using TCPIP services
    ... TCPIP 5.6, time server Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP professional.. ... NTP naming two Windows servers as "peers". ... Our VMS systems are so far all set up using external NTP servers as ...
    (comp.os.vms)