From: John Galt (
Date: 08/21/01

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:05:29 -0600 (MDT)
From: John Galt <>
To: Dino <>

locutus#ntptrace stratum 2, offset 0.002825, synch distance 0.06490 stratum 1, offset 0.004652, synch distance 0.00000, refid 'ACTS'

Locutus is most definitely not a windows XP box :)

I'm still guessing that any and all NTP 'sploits are prefectly valid for
Win XP, and even more so, since there is a default attack vector. You can
get substantial coverage with a script that forges an NTP packet from ( according to my dig, but it's
non-authoritative...) The fun part is they're .60 seconds off NIST:
pathetic for a stratum 2.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Dino wrote:

>I apologize for making a mistake on the name of the NTP:
> vs
>When I tried a 3rd party app and sad it did not work using,
>I really used
>Sorry for the swap of names:(
>(yes I tried and and neither worked on a
>non-XP box)

There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare
would be produced.   Now, thanks to Usenet, we know this is not true.

Who is John Galt?, that's who!