Re: Winnt/Win2k Vuln ?

From: J. Bol (j.bol@itsec.nl)
Date: 08/14/01

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:47:05 +0200
From: "J. Bol" <j.bol@itsec.nl>
To: martin.goudreault@notes.canadair.ca, vuln-dev@securityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Winnt/Win2k Vuln ?

martin.goudreault@notes.canadair.ca wrote:

> You can also do the same thing with files that are associated: *.doc (will open
> Word), *.xls (will open Excel), *.mdb (will open Access) and so on...
>
> Try this: Create a word document (or excel sheet) with an automacro, copy it to
> your desktop, rename it to whatever URL you want, open IE and type that
> address...voila... (worked here!)

This will only work when the option 'Hide file extentions for known file types' is
turn on, which is default and most common on average user's systems.

Verified on NT4-SP6.

Cheers,

Jeroen

--
ITsec Nederland B.V. may not be held liable for the effects or damages caused by
the direct or indirect use of the information or functionality provided by this

Relevant Pages

  • Address Book exporting confusion
    ... I apologise to several people for losing the thread of a previous posting. ... I have two computers which I've recently installed XP on. ... I have to choose between two file types NEITHER of ...
  • Re: Help wanted with WMP file types?
    ... Speaking for myself only. ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... What file types map to Recorded TV shows? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: MP11
    ... For what file types? ... Speaking for myself only. ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Media Player Freezing
    ... What file types are affected? ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... player and other players are not working properly. ... uninstalling nero I have lost either a codecs or a dll, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: pictures streched out. lots of lines, but not clear picture.
    ... What file types are affected? ... Speaking for myself only. ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)