RE: CR II - winME? confirmation?

From: Petruzel, Oliver (OliverP@aegisresearch.com)
Date: 08/06/01

From: "Petruzel, Oliver" <OliverP@aegisresearch.com>
To: "'Gregory_DeGennaro@csaa.com'" <Gregory_DeGennaro@csaa.com>, VULN-DEV@securityfocus.com
Subject: RE: CR II - winME? confirmation?
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:53:07 -0400

Just so we're clear here, this wasnt ME who reported this to SNP, i just
stumbled across it! I was simply curious. The anonymous poster of this
seems to see "outgoing" tcp traffic in large volumes on his WinME box. He
differentiates between the original CR incoming and his current outgoing.

it was so odd that i thought I would ask if it was happening in more than
one location.
didnt think so tho...

-o.p.

ps: as for Gibson's XP objections, i believe his entire point revolves
around Raw Sockets becoming available for HOME users. they were already
accessable in win2k, and any 3rd-party hacked up 9x/NT box, but the threat
was LOW because the "population" of such boxes facing the internet was low,
WHEN COMPARED to the hundreds of millions who may end up running XP.

Think about this: A worm like CR which spoofs it's IP -AND- floods ebay.com
every month for 10 days with spoofed SYN ACK's... or worse. Just think
about the @home network becoming 100% saturated with infected machines
because, unlike CR which requires NT/2k w/IIS, the new variant will work
against XP which joe schmoe just got at best buy on his new toy!!... you
see, for now, it's only been servers to worry about. Now, ALL home systems
will be just as vulnerable.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Network doesnt stay connected?
    ... My internet is not affected maybe because I have DSL and stay connected ... using IPX protocol but still lost connection after watching the streamer for ... > Have a Winxp-pro computer networking thru Linksys router and accessing the ... However as the day goes on I want to print thru the winme ...
  • Re: netsky virus
    ... If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore ... Swen Internet worm to visit you. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: BloodHound.Exploit.6 need help
    ... Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache ... If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore ... Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion)
  • Re: should these be allowed to connect to the internet?
    ... >> I use Sygate on both XP and WinME. ... >> doesn't stop any internet services from running, ... already included by Sygate Personal Firewall. ... causing the prompt) and then manually head off to reconfigure the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: *** No Intenet Connection ***
    ... | I know this is an XP newsgroup but I'm having a problem with a WinME PC ... | page can't be found and to check the internet settings. ... So the NIC and cable connection is OK ... Use LSP Fix to remove the broken LSP Plug-In. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)