Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: EPiC (epic@hack3r.com)
Date: 07/23/01

From: "EPiC" <epic@hack3r.com>
To: <vuln-dev@securityfocus.com>, <SECURITY-BASICS@securityfocus.com>
Subject: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:08:31 -0600

Friday morning I recieved an email from a friend, it looked as though he
was sending me a .doc to look over. To my dismay, it was a worm that had
infected him.

I have found little information about this worm, Mostly located at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

The Worm will come from someone that has you on there contact list, and will
have a differnt subject line determined by the attached file.

The text will read in english as:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

----

****

The link i posted above has a program that will remove the worm, I would suggest using that rather than deleting it yourself, I found that I was renaming regedit.ext to regedit.com to even open regedt. The worm tries to run any executables through it's own shell code.

This being my first real post to Bug-traq I would like feedback. Any questions, hate-mail, death-threats etc can be sent off to epic@hack3r.com

thank you

EPiC hack3r.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: error message and system shut down
    ... Your friend has the Sasser worm. ... Install an antivirus program and keep it updated. ... has a built-in firewall, or there are free alternatives like Zone Alarm ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Autorun Flashdrive Worm
    ... flashdrive that belonged to a friend of mine. ... stopped the worm from running, ... Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/ ... I interface with my database, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Got infected by a worm from MSN messenger
    ... >>My PC got infected by a worm sent by a friend through MSN messenger. ... >>open msn messenger it tries to send itself to friends in my contact list. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Got infected by a worm from MSN messenger
    ... >My PC got infected by a worm sent by a friend through MSN messenger. ... >open msn messenger it tries to send itself to friends in my contact list. ... >THe worm has turned off the System Restore option and I can't find it in My ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Torture - A lawful good act?
    ... At least the worm will had a deadbed. ... My friend stepped on a landmine. ... is a cowardly sonofabitch, not like those boys. ...
    (rec.games.frp.dnd)