Hashing passwords

Hi all,

This may well be a silly question but, with this recent hashed password leakage, I want to ask something about properly hashing.

The "manuals" say that we should create a salt and then hash it. But, since calculating an hash is a "relative simple" operation (in matter of processing power), is hashing two or three times the password (hash over hash) a "kind of" secure method or it is as weak as not using salt at all?

It can still be cracked but...

Sorry for the silly question, but I do prefer to ask than keeping a doubt.

Cheers,
--haZ
Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: How operative systems use cryptography
    ... This may like a silly question - no problem, I'm kind of silly in this area - but I want to know where and how operative systems use it. ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ...
    (Security-Basics)