RE: Securely connecting to FTP

Along with the username any file transfers can be captured. Is your LAN
really at risk of someone installing a device to capture traffic or does
someone have suffciant knowledge to do it software wise? I am assuming
as it is ISP webspace that this is a home environment.

Correct, home environment. I strongly doubt anyone would be capturing the traffic on my LAN.

Between your home and ISP I wouldn't say there is a risk, but then again
I have no idea what the situation is. The fact that in most places there
are very stiff penalties for doing this and the knowledge required would
deter most people. Is the traffic you are uploading to ISP webspace
really that important that someone would do this?

No it isn't. Except that it has to use the credentials used for everything with the ISP (Same account, AFAIK I can't set them differently).
So maybe it's paranoid but it would be annoying if someone sniffed my creds when I Was unsecurely connecting to the FTP to upload files to the website, but then could use those to log on to my ISP toolbox, webmail, etc.

2) is it that smaller ISPs just don't provide this type of functionality, and you won't be able to encrypt while using FTP?
-
that is, is a secure ftp connection a bit of a premium that you pay
more for or need to look more specifically into other companies offering
"secure ftp services.", or should there be no reason why one ISP would
not be able to offer this service.

I would say that it is common, and the reasoning behind it I outline in
the first part of this. A much larger amount I would say use FTPS (FTP
over SSL), so make sure that you give that a go. Also, if they have a
web based control panel it could have a web based file manager of some
sort (it should be over SSL).

No web based file manager available, but i'll try FTPS and previous suggestions from Matthew. Thank you.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: Contact Form Problems
    ... It appears that the ISP does not support FPSE driven forms. ... I use FTP when you publish your site to your ... Upload the root file from your computer to ... and thought I was OK since I was first publishing to ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Speaking of FTP...
    ... In this particular case the ISP says no FTP because it's insecure, ... > FTP servers are a frequent target of hackers and one hacked server alone ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Networking
    ... You'll need to find out what TCP/IP address your ISP has assigned you (this ... >> The second thing you need is to configure your router to pass-through FTP ... >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups ...
  • Re: using ftp to log into a password protected ftp
    ... If you want the security of a password-protected FTP site, ... Automate the backups to your local system. ... The issue is relative risk, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)