Re: Securely connecting to FTP

On 10/25/2011 07:23 AM, Benjamin Betsalel wrote:
So I have a couple of questions.

1) what are the implications of connecting FTP on port 21 with no encryption
-
my username and pass is sent plaintext to the server. Where can I or
where would I worry about being MiTM'ed ? My own LAN connection being
sniffed? any place inbetween my lan and the ISP server?

Everywhere. Assume that nothing is secure, and all connections can be monitored.

2) is it that smaller ISPs just don't provide this type of functionality, and you won't be able to encrypt while using FTP?
-
that is, is a secure ftp connection a bit of a premium that you pay
more for or need to look more specifically into other companies offering
"secure ftp services.", or should there be no reason why one ISP would
not be able to offer this service.

There is no reason why an ISP shouldn't be able to offer this. If they can't, it makes me question their technical acumen.

That said, I've never used an ISP for hosting - that's what hosting providers are for. ISP's connect you to internet pipes, and you should shop around for one which meets your needs. Hosting companies provide hosting, and you should shop around for one which meets your needs. Finding a good, reliable ISP which also does hosting well tends to be problematic - especially since ISP's need to be physically close to you (more or less) and hosting companies can be anywhere.

--
Matthew Caron
Build Engineer

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: FTP file out through a firewall failed unevenly
    ... The FTP thing could be about how big the file size is. ... On the other issue about Excel timeout on a page, you may have to adjust the ... >> What kind of connection is your customer coming in on? ... >> Are they coming through some ISP to connect? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: isps, passive ftp transfers and security
    ... > an isp i need to ftp to has just 'turned off' passive transfer support ... The connection on port 21 is always initated from a high port on the FTP ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: sshd is dropping my connection after authentication...
    ... This is also affecting connectivity to FTP. ... I'm *REALLY* suspecting an issue with my ISP. ... Going from one cable modem to another cable modem on the same ISP router ... When I connect from a PC on my LAN the connection seems to work ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Cyberterrorism [was: Re: NSA wiretap, Friday night]
    ... uniform rule to disconnect compromised machines. ... Wouldn't someone move from one ISP to another if it was really bad at ... but only obeying the terms of a statute ... needs the connection open, the ISP can open it through the proxy server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Not able to Ftp
    ... I was also looking at the missing challenge from the local security. ... Subject: Not able to Ftp ... 220 Connection will close if idle for more than 5 minutes. ... Search the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)