Re: financial loss estimates?

Are there industry standard rates, or case studies on the true cost to a business for a data breach?

Specifically, i'm looking for the impact from a data breach involving financial information (bank accounts, loan info, credit card numbers, ect), social security numbers, and employee IDs.

Well, credit card numbers trade for something like $5 in retail (but
you can save a lot by buying in bulk). I suppose you could start with
that?

/mz

[ Please don't kill me. ]

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1