Re: financial loss estimates?

Are there industry standard rates, or case studies on the true cost to a business for a data breach?

Specifically, i'm looking for the impact from a data breach involving financial information (bank accounts, loan info, credit card numbers, ect), social security numbers, and employee IDs.

Well, credit card numbers trade for something like $5 in retail (but
you can save a lot by buying in bulk). I suppose you could start with
that?

/mz

[ Please don't kill me. ]

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: OT: Willing to share the wealth
    ... >> No, no. Send all your bank account info, credit card and social security ... >Not that I don't trust you or anything, but I'll send to Dr. Zongo ...
    (rec.boats)
  • Re: OT harry reid "in the history of the world"
    ... and this guy has been absent from reality how long? ... And Social Security has been working, as he said, how long? ... been successfully resold all along the way. ... Similar to paying off one credit card with another credit card. ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Photoshop Serial #
    ... Post your mate's telephone number, your social security number, credit card ... number and vericode and PIN and we will do a deal. ...
    (comp.graphics.apps.photoshop)
  • AS/400 Data Encryption
    ... Does IBM have a software product that does data encryption at the field ... To secure specific information such as ... credit card numbers, social security number, driver's license etc? ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)
  • Re: Help martial arts research and enter drawing to win $50.00!
    ... Your social security number, credit card numbers ... with their pins, and even your hat size are now safely in the hands of ...
    (rec.martial-arts)