Re: RE: Question on root credentials for scanning

I feel as most in the group says, it depends on the purpose of the scan. Probably we can do a Credentialed scan before a server infra is about to be placed in DMZ and later on the periodical scans can be done with non-credentialed scans. I know, performing credentialed scanning every time is ideal but in most cases, when a server in production, it becomes un touchable. So, we may have to rely on Surface scanning, non-credentialed scans.
Credential scans usually takes long time than surface scans.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1