From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Chuck Mayers
Sent: 28. november 2010 03:21
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Windows Remote Desktop - any known vulnerabilities?

About 6 months ago, I wanted to connect to my home computer (which runs
Windows 7) from work, so I enabled Remote Desktop, with the option
"Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop
(less secure)". It was a one time thing, and I've never used it since. I
left these options on.

Today I noticed an event in the event log:

The RDP protocol component X.224 detected an error in the protocol
stream and has disconnected the client.

This same error also appears one other time, 2 months ago.

I've googled the message, it sounds like it could simply be an error
you'd get if a remote user closed his session... except that there
shouldn't be any remote users! At the time of the event, I'm not even
sure if I was using the computer, but I know that I have not used RDP
for 6 months and no one else should be connecting.

Are there any known Remote Desktop vulnerabilities (for a PC acting as
the server) that I should be worried about?

Is there any other way this event would be in the event log, besides the
obvious - someone had connected to my PC?

I looked in the event log for anything obviously strange around the
times of these events, and I don't see anything. The PC seems fine and I
don't have any reason to think it was compromised except for this
strange event message.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I can check for, to figure out
what this cryptic message means.

Thanks

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an
SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company
and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out
how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on
your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your
encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442
f727d1