Re: secure sharepoint 2010 design

On 2010-08-10 Boyd, Chad wrote:
My DC's are segmented from my workstations.
http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/hsoffice/design-secure-network-segmentation-approach_1645 (PDF)

I didn't say it can't be done, I said it's pointless to do it.

While most of the advice in that PDF is good in general, implementing
the firewall traffic map from chapter 3 will break a Windows domain. See
MSKB 832017 [1] for an overview of the required ports for various
Windows services, particularly NetBIOS, DirectSMB, NetLogon and Group
Policy.

BTW, (client-side) DNS requires port 53/tcp in addition to port 53/udp.
It's a common misunderstanding that port 53/tcp were used only for zone
transfers. DNS also uses TCP connections when an answer to a name lookup
is too large for a single UDP packet.

To be clear, proper network segmentation can be a pain to set up...and
can be a bit expensive depending on the environment, but:
- Once it is set up, the security makes me sleep a bit better at night.
- If there's some crazy virus outbreak or compromise, it's a lot
harder for an attacker to take down everything.

True in general, but not for (Windows) DCs.

[...]
Why do you lock your car doors?
When you trust the person you locked in the front seat to never unlock
the car, why worry?

Going with this analogy: placing your DCs in a different network segment
is like locking your car doors with all the windows open.

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832017/

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: keeping ports open
    ... If a port is open, it means that 1) a software or service is running on your ... and 2) you're not using a firewall or your firewall isn't ... Use firewall software and hardware and antivirus software that is ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • [Full-Disclosure] ron1n phone home, episode 4
    ... Hacking from Windows 3.x, 95 and NT ... Use secret Windows 95 DOS commands to track down and port surf computers ... Download hacker tools such as port scanners and password crackers designed ... Now you have the option of eight TCP/IP utilities to play with: telnet, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... > server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... open ports; however, this will not identify which program is using the port. ...
  • Re: Is secedit.exe left by a hacker?
    ... >> tested on port 445. ... >> I have a Linksys router that I use as a firewall to my ... >investigate the files on your computer - antivirus with ... >windows and everything else. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How to Maintain an IIS Server?
    ... >> server running on a Windows 2000 server. ... > before a firewall and antivirus have been installed]. ... > program or executable using that port. ...