From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jay Vlavianos
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 3:12 PM
To: Mike Hale
Cc: Eric Ong; security-basics
Subject: Re: Network Monitoring Software

To extend that comment, Nagios is actually highly configurable with
scripts you can write in PERL, bash or compile your own - anything
that can give you a return code can be used as a command in Nagios
that you can base uptime on.

Nagios also allows you to comment on systems or groups and schedule
downtime for maintenance ... Etc.

Combining Nagios, MRTG (or Cacti), and splunk is a great holistic way
to watch your system for very little money.

The only plus in my book for Zenoss is that you can get a VM of the
whole system and run it as a virtual instance.

-Jay

On Jan 18, 2010, at 13:06, "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design@xxxxxxxxx>