Re: Windows Server without AD?

On 2009-12-04 Scott Race wrote:
Hello, I have come across a Windows Server 2003 system that has not had
AD (or DNS or DHCP) installed on it. It does have Terminal Services
installed (5 licenses) and there are local accounts setup for each user.
Single server for the organization.

What are the security implications of not having AD installed?

If anything it's increasing security, because the server is running less
services.

I'm assuming one would be that it'd be easy to reset the local Admin
password and gain access to the box.

Resetting the admin password on a domain controller isn't significantly
harder than resetting the admin password on a standalone server. If an
attacker has physical access to the host you're screwed either way,
unless you your disks are encrypted.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: Allowing internet access in Terminal sessions...
    ... It's up to you on the amount of pain you want to give your users but there are easier ways of controlling those things you want which is through proper zone configuration. ... Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services ... will it allow scripts etc to be run by users on the server? ... Explorer 7 security is set to MEDIUM-HIGH on servers, and anytime a user will try to access a web site, they will get the "Content being blocked" pop-up and have to CLOSE or ADD the sites they are trying to view. ...
  • Windows 2000 Security Roll-up and Terminal Services
    ... I recently installed the Windows 2000 Security Roll-up on several servers ... and had some troubles with Terminal Services afterwards. ... On another server, terminal services ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • RE: MS Terminal Services open to the world
    ... Terminal Services Security ... Running Terminal Services may expose your domain to significant security ... Terminal Server deployment. ... the Terminal Services Client supports version checking. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • (prevent + detect Arp spoofing) + Securing Terminal Services
    ... and i am participating in a CTF contest ... I am going to be running a windows 2003 server, ... terminal services, and have learned that using ssl with terminal services ... prospectus based upon the core principle concepts of security. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • security-basics Digest of: get.123_145
    ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ... Re: Multiple IPSec tunnels? ... Subject: Security NT Server ... VPN to ASP a security risk? ...
    (Security-Basics)