Re: how to find a static IP

Another option would be to plug the sever and a PC with tcpdump or wireshark to the same switch, and let the sniffer run for a while you should see the ip broadcasting itself.

And just adjust you PC to the IP scheme and try to log in!

-----Original Message-----
From: ghe <ghe@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:00:39
To: <security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: how to find a static IP

I have inherited a new SUN server, and while running the sys-unconfig command I have sort of messed it up. I know it has an ethernet management port configured with a static IP, but I do not know this IP.

Is there a console terminal? Why don't you just log into it and ask?

My idea was to connect this server and a computer on to a switch, boot a linux and port scan every internet address. Since its a private lan I would not be bothering anyone else. Since there is no dhcp and I want no routing I started the ethernet using
ifconfig eth0 1.1.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 up
The device started, but when I use nmap to scan IPs it does not know how to route packets.

I don't know what you're doing with nmap, but 'nmap -sP 192.168.3.0/24'
scans my LAN and tells me the IP and MAC and reverse lookup of every
host on the net.

Another possibility would be to look at the ARP table of one of the
other hosts on the LAN ('arp', on Linux). That gives a list of most
hosts (I just tried it, and it didn't see the TV set)...

--
Glenn English
ghe@xxxxxxxxxxx

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • Re: Sniffier at Switching HUB
    ... I would like to check the LAN by the software. ... >> Do you know any sniffer software on the switch HUB. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Sniffier at Switching HUB
    ... I would like to check the LAN by the software. ... >> Do you know any sniffer software on the switch HUB. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: HOW can I Block Sniffers
    ... Replace your hubs with switches and secure the switch console from ... access on the LAN so that your sniffer-fiend can't access the sniffer ... features of the switch. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: bce packet loss
    ... hosts, but I wanted to thank everyone for all the fascinating ethernet BER ... Cabling seems fine as neither the switch nor the sysctl ... controller was able to receive all packets destined for this host. ... lost a few ports was a 10/100 switch and the hosts were already hard-coded ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: bce packet loss
    ... hosts, but I wanted to thank everyone for all the fascinating ethernet BER ... Cabling seems fine as neither the switch nor the sysctl ... the switch had flow control set to "on". ... controller was able to receive all packets destined for this host. ...
    (freebsd-net)