Re: Port question

On 2009-06-25 Marco Shaw wrote:
And don't bother with "Shields Up". If you want to do a portscan, use
something like nmap.

Since this is a basics list...

Now, let's qualify that a bit... Not everyone is technically savvy
enough to know what to do with such a statement. Nmap requires you
have a system to run it with/on. That also requires (or should to be
somewhat valid/useful) that you have this run externally. So you need
to have a friend outside of your own "personal network" to scan you
and provide you with the results.

Having some computer of your own outside the local network will do as
well. Another option might be to connect a portable computer into the
external interface of the router/firewall and do the scan from there.
That would give the most reliable results, too.

learnings, and you can definitely port scan systems in your own
internal network, but I think the goal should be to port scan outside
of your private network beyond your ISP access point so you know what
*everyone else* can see...

Yes.

google://online+port+scanner

In the absence of this, using *something* is better than *nothing*...

IBTD. Nothing is most certainly better than something misleading.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • RE: Nmap output
    ... Try using Nlog. ... NLog is a set of PERL scripts for managing and analyzing your nmap 2.0+ ... web based service gateway to an internal network. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Scanning Class A network
    ... About point 2, i recommend you Nmap... ... >network to identify hosts and ports exposed to the Internet. ... >Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: ... Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Scanning hosts behind a NAT
    ... I'm a student and I'm trying to learn how nmap does its job. ... Today, for example, I tried to scan my home network )... ... Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprisefor 30 days for FREE with no ... FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Advice on Fastest NMAP Scan
    ... Good to see you on here Fyodor. ... make sure that you are using Nmap 3.75. ... or just a local network? ... > shouldn't be any problem at all for regular scanning. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: generating a network map
    ... You could use Etherape with a network discovery tool like Nmap. ... but the topology won't be correct I don't think. ...
    (Pen-Test)