Re: Port question

On 2009-06-26 Murda Mcloud wrote:
If anything, you should be worried about ports that show up as
"stealth".

Hey Ansgar-do you mean because there is no way of knowing exactly what
your system is doing with the packet? Therefore no way of knowing that
it has done the 'right' thing?

No. Because it's utter nonsense. There is no "stealth" in TCP/IP.
Period. If a given host is not reachable from your current location,
then some router along the way will respond with a "destination
unreachable" ICMP packet. Not receiving a response normally means that
for some reason your packets (or the responses) are being dropped, which
indicates that the target is there rather than the opposite.

I suppose it could be 'did not respond' rather than 'stealthed' as the
result from the grc site.

That would be the correct way to put it. However, Gibson insists in
deceiving people into believing they could magically hide their
computers by not responding to packets. Which, of course, they can't.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate. We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

  • RE: Port question
    ... Hey Ansgar-do you mean because there is no way of knowing exactly what your ... system is doing with the packet? ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • BlueGiga W11 Integration
    ... device 0032ce78] packet 0x0032bd10 op 0c03 ... response ...
  • Re: 1394 Async Request Rx (BUSY_X blocking)
    ... I am not getting speed above 70 Mbps in async because of response ... through Microsoft driver) to avoid write response. ... > packet is received. ... From its DPC the driver calls a routine that parses the ...
  • Re: 1394 Async Request Rx (BUSY_X blocking)
    ... I am not getting speed above 70 Mbps in async because of response ... through Microsoft driver) to avoid write response. ... > packet is received. ... From its DPC the driver calls a routine that parses the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev)
  • Re: failed shields up test
    ... Try to ping one - you'll probably get a response, ... Now, plug the cable back in, and fire up that packet sniffer on "this" ... protocols that can be found in an IP packet (see figure 3.1 in RFC0791 ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)