Re: Re: Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

Security as an excuse to filter.

Users will *always* find another way out , and the websites they'll end up with won't be "known" to admins and will have themselves malware.
If instead they can direct and freely access them, they won't spend time searching on how to "bypass" filtering and going through dubious content.
Besides, most Social Networks have manpower and means to mitigate most problems while others won't be as constantly screened. (and ofcourse if you can predict where they are likely to browse you also can do some previous research yourself).

I think more reasonable would be teaching how to "feel unsafe", don't blindly trust content,etc. this way you put more responsability on users for their actions and they won't get excuse that it's IT fault that some particular website wasn't filtered/blocked.

Second thought would be *giving* away antivirus licenses (i really mean FOR FREE) for their personal use (laptop,desktop,whatever) if they are allowed to use any sort of external storage, that way they'll learn the grips of the tools. teach them how to use tools how to more safely browse, what are your policies,etc.

Believe me if they knew they'll be held responsable if something goes wrong, they'll avoid everything that can give them problems...instead of purely relying on IT folks.
About time spended, you can always make public the "social networking king" (i mean the person who accesses it the most), and the most accessed website in your network. And ofcourse if you get 50% access on Facebook and you have proper policies you can always take action.
Since noone would like to be called to the office to explain why they are "the king", they'll likely avoid it during workhours. (ofcourse if you make this remember to create exceptions to the executives... or you'll get into troubles... )

And your risk vs benefit will likely be incorrect if you are inducing random variables due to blocking.
That way you'll end up evaluating trust of "unknown" instead of known SN domains.

I remember making a script to access some blocked website (for fun) , gave it to my friends (and they are people from IT) , they used it and were blindly inserting user/password details (until i warned them i could be snooping them) one of them even told me he used the same for VPN to a "secure" server and SSH and he was inserting credentials in something he didn't knew previously it was controlled by me.

So if you use it daily, are you sure your users have different passwords for everything?!
Maybe your block makes worse than you'd expect.

Sorry for such a long post, but i had to explain my view.

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most concentrated exam prep available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means you pass the exam. Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html

  • Re: Hyperband, interband and s-channels
    ... The filter just allows the FM band through Most noise generated by analogue tuners is at around 40MHz and therefore would not get back through the filter onto the network. ... The TV socket does not have such a filter because it is designed to allow low-frequency signals back onto the network because the return-path signals from the set-top boxes are usually in the range 25-45MHz. ... I am able to receive the basic channels through it and am also able to tune these directly to my telly (via the bypass fitted to the rear of the box). ...
    (uk.media.tv.cable)
  • Re: how does bypass capacitor work?
    ... > i know how a cap can filter out high freq. ... > how a bypass cap work.... ... frequency signals from the power supply leads. ... The charge on the capacitor provides ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)
  • Re: looking for suggestion on whole house water filter
    ... One I bought from plumber does not have a built in shut off valve but he put in ballcocks before and after the filter plus a bypass ballcock so you can take off line and bypass to change filter. ... You can install these units yourself as I did when younger but now with bifocals, arthritis etc., I hire plumbers. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: Engine flushing
    ... change oil? ... don't run the engine hard. ... That's probably a lot more common than actual tearing of the filter. ... But the plug up results in a complete bypass, ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Directshow filter - event notification with allocated resources
    ... I will try to bypass IMediaEvent... ... >>So if I understand, there is no known interface to release events, I have ... >>make it myself and one per filter. ...