Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

Sweet, two good posts at once! :)

@Michael S.
Excellent points! I really dislike being treated like I'm in kindergarten at work. Now, I know some employees really abuse such privs, but it is insulting when I have to suffer along.

Likewise, should an employer quash communication, even if it is done online? If that is what our culture is accepting as a social medium (we are!), then shouldn't the company think about accepting it in part?

@chmod777
I'm seeing an increasing number of requests from clients to integrate various social network sites into their projects/programs that my company may manage.

- YouTube for hosting videos, either instructional, informative, or otherwise not private, maybe to share amongst their sales staff, or support staffs, or disparate offices. Why build/host this yourself?

- Facebook for similar things like sharing pics of an event. Even the White House has thrown pics up here. Why build/host this yourself?

- Twitter for interfacing with clients in small groups, conference updates and news, alerts, etc. I just recently read about a traveling food truck (ala the ice cream truck) that sends out its location updates over Twitter (arguably marketing, but that's pretty slick!).

I'm not saying all of the various "business" reasons I've seen in just the last couple months are sound, but the talk is there whether you hear it or not.

But really, one of the biggest reasons is just that SN is integrating in culture as much as TV or telephone in decades past.

<- snip ->

Is it worth the risk to alienate the employees?

People are still people, and deserve to be treated like adults, not like
children.

The example you gave, "hate the boss"... Well, for one thing, if your
boss is going to treat you like a child, that is a major strike against
him right there.

So someone is blowing off steam online instead of in the work place.
Would you prefer they have no outlet, and decide to take some sort of
dire action out of frustration?

Is it worth the risk to NOT allow a 'twit' or a 'tweet'?

As far as "non-marketing" uses, social networking is a way for people to
interact, and perhaps even solve problems.

* Seeking support or sympathy to resolve interpersonal conflict
* Asking about best practices, and how to apply them to their job
* Looking for technical information
* Planning an office party or some other moral boosting event

You would be better off keeping simple and flexible guidelines about
what is not allowed ( and why ).

chmod1777 (at) invalid-host (dot) name [email concealed] wrote:
I gotta ask...

What business purpose do Social Networking sites have, for non-marketing type employees?

It's not worth the risk to allow a 'twit' to 'tweet' about how they hate their boss, wish they were on vacation, etc etc.

Need to pass the CISSP? InfoSec Institute's CISSP Boot Camp in both Instructor-Led and Online formats is the most concentrated exam prep available. Comprehensive course materials and an expert instructor means you pass the exam. Gain a laser like insight into what is covered on the exam, with zero fluff!

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/cissp_bootcamp_training.html

  • Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?
    ... Is it worth the risk to NOT allow a 'twit' or a 'tweet'? ... As far as "non-marketing" uses, social networking is a way for people to interact, and perhaps even solve problems. ... What business purpose do Social Networking sites have, for non-marketing type employees? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Facebook from a hackers perspective
    ... This method of attack has been used by hackers since the conception of Social Networking Websites, but only recently has it caught the attention of the media. ... As a result of this new exposure we've decided to give people a rare glimpse into Facebook from a hackers perspective. ... Some companies even have facebook groups that only employees or contractors are allowed to become members of. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: Security and the Under 30 User
    ... Security and the Under 30 User ... restructions) and you can do your social networking on your lunch or ... Policy requires technology to enforce it because ... employees that are not adding any real value to the company (because ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Theo Pahitis discussing Facebook
    ... spending huge amounts of their office time on social networking websites. ... City Hall employees have spent an average of 413 hours a month on Facebook. ... It's not exactly difficult to restrict employees' internet access and filter out the "social networking" sites. ... If they're spending 450 hours per month on Facebook, how many more hours are they spending checking mails, shopping, gaming etc? ...
    (uk.legal)
  • The Online Divide Between Work and Play
    ... Q. A growing number of colleagues have requested to connect with you ... career consulting business and wrote a book about social networking, ... intranet, encouraging employees to share documents, post PowerPoint ... Q. If you wish to decline certain connection requests, ...
    (soc.culture.cambodia)