Re: Data Interpretation

On 2009-03-17 David Gillett wrote:
Neither of these things is happening, and nmap can't tell why not.
SOMETHING must be listening, since no ICMP packet was received back,
but clearly it's not a normal process. The most likely scenario is
that a firewall or other security measure is dropping the SYN packet
without deigning to respond.

Packet filters aren't really listening (at least not in the TCP sense of
the word).

This is, in fact, exactly what you want.

I have to disagree. What you actually want in a situation like that is
the firewall to respond with a RST.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."

Find the source of cybercrime! Almost every crime today involves a computer or mobile device. Learn how to become a Computer Forensics Examiner in InfoSec Institute's hands-on Computer Forensics Course. Up to three industry recognized certs available, online computer forensics training available.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html

  • Re: One last questions about daemons
    ... Something has to be listening at all times in case a packet with the ... right MAC address, IP address, and port number comes across on the ... the interrupt handler routine. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: One last questions about daemons
    ... Something has to be listening at all times in case a packet with the ... right MAC address, IP address, and port number comes across on the ... the interrupt handler routine. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: monitor UDP broadcast - once every 5 seconds
    ... >> I need to write an app that monitors a UDP broadcast stream. ... >> listen to a particular port once every 5 seconds and see if a packet ... >> want it to capture every packet. ... >> My problem is that once the TestPortListener starts listening, ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)
  • RE: Data Interpretation
    ... since no ICMP packet was ... Packet filters aren't really listening (at least not in the ... like that is the firewall to respond with a RST. ... I'm aware of arguments for and against sending an RST; ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: monitor UDP broadcast - once every 5 seconds
    ... > I need to write an app that monitors a UDP broadcast stream. ... > want it to capture every packet. ... > My problem is that once the TestPortListener starts listening, ... > *all* packets for that port. ...
    (comp.lang.java.help)