From: "Juan Pablo Macias" <jpmacias@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:12 AM
Subject: security products

Hi everybody.

A friend asked for my advice, so now i ask the experts. He has a
windows network with many shared excel files. Some of them have
sensitive information, information about his clients, but all of them
are required to be shared. Each share is password protected. He is
worried that, for example, one of his employees takes an important
file from the shared network and sells it.

Is there a way, in this scenario, to control who can access what? or
to avoid copying files away from the shared pc, or to allow to make
changes, but not to copy the file to another location? A possible
solution would be to password protect or encrypt the files, but i
don't think it would be be feasible it talking about some hundred
files. Is there software that already takes care or this?

In the long term, my suggestion would be to put all excel files into a
formal database and implement access control there, maybe even a web
application.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Juan Pablo

--
To follow the path,
look to the master,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Get custom database properties from an Access database
    ... I could start a local copy only if the master is unavailable. ... If my database gets hosed, or even the entire machine stolen, it doesn't matter, it's only a snapshot of the actual data and can be rebuilt any time it's necessary. ... Dim wshShell ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Replication problems
    ... An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. ... DHCP server event log for more information on this error. ... browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{99B638B5-2C0B. ... master browser is stopping or an election is being forced. ...
  • RE: SQL Server failing to start (directly effecting sales!!!) Error: 823, Severity:
    ... You should consider calling Microsoft Technical Support as your master ... They will want your SQL Server Errorlogs ... that the machine with the database has hardware that is failing. ... Even if you are planning to reinstall you should make a backup copy ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: Table Normalization
    ... To master it requires a great deal more work. ... There are so many categories to work in (database design, queries, forms, ... that they'd flub a number of the answers, ... make the same mistake twice, and they don't let others make the same ...
  • RE: Multi user database
    ... manner and push updates to the backend. ... the other user updates table c then run the append query. ... Right now I can determine when the master table is updated, ... the database they should 'share' the data not update to/from local copies. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.modulesdaovba)