Securing my PC at a Wireless Hotspot?

Hello

You've probably been to a café before that offered WiFi via a Wireless
Hotspot. Or maybe you've been to an airport that had some hotspots?
Well whatever the case, I'm sure you've seen a Public Wireless
Hotspot. Or, at the very least, heard of them.

So my question to you is, NOT on how to secure the Wireless Hotspot,
but rather on how to go about securing my connection to the hotspot.

So, how do I secure my PC at a Wireless Hotspot?

Would there be a way to have 256-bit AES or 256-bit Camellia
encryption on all outgoing traffic?

Or would you recommend a different method?

If this is of any use, I will be using the following laptop: Dell
Inspiron 700m. I will be running either Ubuntu 8.10 or Windows XP
(though probably XP, since I get better battery life).

Can I please have some recommendations on what I need to add onto my
Windows XP installation in order to encrypt my connection to the
Wireless Hotspot?

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Roamin on my ranch -- identifying locale
    ... See wikis below for info on "hotspot" routers. ... my own preference being Buffalo wireless ... John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: OT: Goodbye Landline, Hello VOIP + Cellphone
    ... I have DSL $21 and a Hotspot (a wireless wi-fi ... Hotspot after AT&T DSL 12 month deal expired and the price jumped ... home phone service isn't necessary here. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: setup radiusserver for hotel-internet acces
    ... > Somebody gave me a demonstration of a smc wireless hotspot gateway ... > Could anybody help me with installing a radiusserver + making the ... > internet interface or does anybody knows any system that allready ... deploy hotspots using Windows Server 2003 IAS and Wireless Provisioning ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.radius)
  • Re: any comp nerds in here?
    ... There are many, many free wireless hotspots so the presumption is that if someone opens up their network for use without a password, then it is in the public domain.Wireless internet is broadcast in the public frequencies licensed by the FCC. ... It is not my right to give away the internet service that I pay for. ... This is just like using someone's cable service by splicing into the cable. ... If someone pays for a public hotspot, like at the JetBlue terminal of JFK, then using the public hotspot is fair game. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: OT WiFi Question
    ... If you are just outside of a hotspot, you can use a Netgear WG614 ... Wireless acess point. ... could walk the booster to a place near his office windows, plug it in and wirelessly let it feed his laptop across the ... Or, if you need more power, the antenna will detach and you ...
    (rec.games.pinball)