While I understand and respect your point of view I disagree. If you pay for quality security services you will probably avoid suffering the damages of a successful compromise. If you avoid that compromise then you never need to suffer damages and lose money as a result. I suppose thats not really savings, but it does prevent loss.

If on the other hand you do not use a quality service provider then you do run the very high risk of suffering a compromise. So then I'll ask, how much are your assets worth? What is the value of your network, its systems, your emails, your customer information, your source code, etc? Is it worth more than $20,000, is it worth more than $50,000.00? If it is then why would you choose the bunk security service over the real one?

So the question really is, are your assets worth protecting Tony? If you're interested I can prove my point about the differences in quality. Have my team do a followup penetration test and allow us to reproduce the threat that you'll likely face in the real world. We'll probably get in, thank god we're the good guys right? Too bad most of the bad guys are testing you better than most of the security providers though. ;]

On Jan 3, 2009, at 10:20 AM, tony_l_turner@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've always felt that any attempts to calculate ROI for security investments led to confusion. There really is no return on investment, just mitigated or avoided risk. Its similar to buying insurance (although that creates a certain amount of risk transference) but either is a completely different scenario then buying a server or a new DBMS that directly translates to increased transaction volume or decreased contact times. ROI on security is a misnomer. It is an attempt to justify security expenditures and while some sort of model is needed to represent the impact for the investment and the returns gained, ROI seems a poor choice.
------Original Message------
From: Adriel T. Desautels
Sender: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pen-test list
Cc: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Jan 2, 2009 6:45 PM
Subject: The Return on Investment of Good Security

Latest blog entry for those who care. This one compares the Return on
Investment of good security services to the Return on Investment of
poor quality security services. As usual comments and criticisms are
welcome and appreciated.

Direct link as requested:

http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2009/01/cost-of-good-security-is-fraction-of.html

Adriel T. Desautels
ad_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
--------------------------------------

Subscribe to our blog
http://snosoft.blogspot.com

Adriel T. Desautels
ad_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subscribe to our blog
http://snosoft.blogspot.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: The Return on Investment of Good Security
    ... The Return on Investment of Good Security ... Latest blog entry for those who care. ... This one compares the Return on ... poor quality security services. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • The Return on Investment of Good Security
    ... Latest blog entry for those who care. ... This one compares the Return on Investment of good security services to the Return on Investment of poor quality security services. ...
    (Pen-Test)