Re: Help on truecrypt recovery

On 2008-12-26, Raj <rajshas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the new year note , I happend to forget my truecrypt password. I

As the man page for cryptsetup says, "mathematics can't be
bribed".

I hope you had backups! Only brute force will work, and the
key space is too large for that.

Having said that, if you're the kind of person who always
chooses his passwords based on some fixed+variable part,
where the variable part is some month/day (I often see this
with systems that *force* you to change your password every
month or so, and people who deal with such systems tend to
carry that into other passwords too), then you certainly
could try brute force.

Trying brute force programmatically is doable on certain
systems; I think TC has a command line interface on Linux,
which should be amenable to a limited scripted brute
forcing. But if you're on Windows, I would have no clue how
to do that, or how to do it from C or something...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Security issues in publishing content of /etc ?
    ... >> You could use a brute force attack to get weak passwords. ... >> software installed in the machine or other hosts information. ... a user, with your mimic software installed on his machine, wont be able to ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Creating a Password
    ... The devil is always in the details with security. ... > Whether it's a 'dictionary' or 'brute force' attack, ... > I will also agree that we're nit-picking the sentence "Such passwords can ... > only be cracked by means of brute force". ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Creating a Password
    ... The devil is always in the details with security. ... > Whether it's a 'dictionary' or 'brute force' attack, ... > I will also agree that we're nit-picking the sentence "Such passwords can ... > only be cracked by means of brute force". ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Creating a Password
    ... Whether it's a 'dictionary' or 'brute force' attack, ... describes a methodology. ... "Such passwords are less apt to be cracked by means of a dictionary attack." ...