Re: Network sniffing on the wire - managed switches

There's probably better ways of doing it now, but it used to be true
that you could flood the switch with MAC addresses, overwhelming the
arp table. This would have the effect of turning the switch into a
hub.

See this link, for one description:

http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/editorial/135324.asp