Re: Centralised Software Removal

Hi James,

Your situation may not be solved by technology alone. Define a policy
for granting local admin rights. Standardize on your software
deployment platform. Outline a configuration baseline (desired
configuration) and implement a change management DB to keep track of
configuration drifts (Microsoft SMS/SCCM has this capability, and
more).

Clean-up of the applications will entail a lot of prep-work and
planning (and may involve some coding if no third-party alternatives
are available). You may want to extract all the uninstall information
(HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall) and store
these on a DB. From this list, you can generate a whitelist; anything
out of this list, uninstall. You can create an application or a script
that can do this. Guy Thomas has a good example of a script that lists
the Uninstall registry key here (this should get you started in the
right direction):

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine63.htm

Removing the "rogue" administrators may be the easier task. Please
check the following post (shameless plug =)) which should provide you
some insight on how to go about tackling the task of removing users
from the local administrators group:

http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com/2008/11/removing-users-from-local.html

Regards,

Salvador Manaois III
MCSE MCSA CEH MCITP | Enterprise/Server Admin
Bytes & Badz : http://badzmanaois.blogspot.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: sysrc -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.
    ... modcfg - modify configuration ... Your utility I think loosely resembles Apple's Core Data Programming ... How to treat leading bare-words containing an assignment differently ... cc'ing multiple FreeBSD lists. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Exiscan+clamav
    ... Right now I am using Exim 4.43 and clamav-0.80_1 both installed from ports. ... all the runtime configuration options that can be included in a # ... # qualified "official" name of your host. ... # The next three settings create two lists of domains and one list of hosts. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [kde-linux] How do I enable horizontal scrolling?
    ... D> lists) any more, altho many people still use it and we do try to answer ... D> xinput2 only really working from last year), and the related kernel input ... D> configuration should be in an InputDevice section, ... D> for horizontal scrolling. ...
    (KDE)
  • RE: 80090308 error when trying to edit public folders propoerties
    ... Check Accept Client Certificates. ... Launch ADSI Edit by running adsiedit.msc. ... In the left side pane expand the Configuration container. ... In the Properties dialog box you will see 2 drop-down lists. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re[2]: sysconf -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.
    ... modcfg - modify configuration ... cc'ing multiple FreeBSD lists. ... DT> required to run in an embedded environment -- which the first version ...
    (freebsd-hackers)