From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jon Kibler
Sent: 12 October 2008 14:39
To: Steve Armstrong
Cc: Steven Bonici; security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Flash Drive Policy

Steve Armstrong wrote:
I mus ttake issue with your 2nd point as I believe the 'head in the
sand' approach to USB devices is so 1990's. USB is used in most
businesses and it will continue to increase with the demise of open
network shares on Corp lans (aka the swap share) and the introduction
of desktops to the Corp environment without ps/2 interfaces.

I agree that policy and appropriate software can reduce the risk from
USB devices but that is not our call (security advisors) it's the risk

owners - who in my experieance are some of those asking for them in
the first place.

The problem I have is that most risk owners do not understand security
and the regulatory and business policies that drive them. That is why
security develops and deploys security policy. So, I would argue that it
IS the place of security to set policy for USB devices.

Regarding network shares, a lot of organizations are moving to all
network based storage, and either thin clients or no data stored on
local desktops. In such an environment, sharing data simply becomes a
matter of setting the correct access permissions. Collaboration software
suites (sharepoint, zimbra, etc.) are also being used to accomplish such

Then, at least here in the states, we have regulatory issues that come
into play when you look at removable media issues. When you have to have
full audits of "who did what to this data, how, when, and from where",
the use of USB or other removable media simply makes these types of
audit trails impossible. So, I stick with my original statement that
there is no place for USB or other removable media in the workplace.

Finally, you indicated that there is 'appropriate software' that can
reduce the risks associated with USB drives. Please give some examples!
I have not seen any type of USB management software that cannot be
easily defeated by the typical desktop user -- especially if they have
local admin rights (which I find over 95% of all corporate desktop users
have!). I have yet to find a USB management package that would prevent
an attack as simple as plugging in a USB hub and using it to share your
rodent and a USB drive.

So, bottom line... I have to disagree. I stick by my argument that you
should not allow any USB or other removable media in the workplace.

- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253

Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

Filtered by: TRUSTEM.COM's Email Filtering Service No Spam. No Viruses. Just Good Clean Email.

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

A number of bogus e-mails are currently circulating in the UK encouraging customers to visit fraudulent websites where personal or Internet security details are requested. Bid tv/Price-drop tv/Speed auction tv would never send e-mails that ask for confidential, personal security information or details regarding your account status.

The content of this e-mail does not constitute a contract and any matters discussed herein remain subject to contract.

The contents of this message and all attachments have been sent in confidence for the attention of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested to preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of the error in transmission.

"sit-up ltd, registered in England No: 03877786.
Registered Office: sit-up House, 179-181 The Vale, London W3 7RW.
sit-up ltd is wholly owned by a subsidiary of Virgin Media."

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP
    ... Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP ...
  • RE: USB Device Not Recognized - If u can solve this one, you are truly
    ... I have a computer that gives the following error when I plug in some USB ... Windows does not recognize it. ... |- Unused Port ... I've removed all USB devices from device ...
  • Re: External USB Drive not detected
    ... "USB device recognized. ... One of the USB devices attached to the computer ... I then plugged a regular 2G memory stick into the same port, ... port without having to rely on your Windows installation. ...
  • RE: USB Device Not Recognized - If u can solve this one, you are truly
    ... Everyone who has a SanDisc please call 1-866-248-4498. ... I have a computer that gives the following error when I plug in some USB ... Jump Drives: 'USB Device Not Recognized'. ... I've removed all USB devices from device ...
  • Re: USB error message
    ... > USB devices attached to this computer as yet. ... two USB flash drives and you know both of those drives are non-defective & ... > I have uninstalled the USB devices and reloaded them to no avail. ... installation worked without problems, yes? ...