Re: Voice Encryption

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Kelly Keeton wrote:

Is there any software that will encrypt voice on the fly? I know there
is PGPfone but that's for use with a existing VoIP Phone product.

My use case is.. if I want software to encode my voice in software on
a laptop over a POTS or Cellular phone do decrypt via far end software
and phone. I understand the limitations to some of this due to the
audio spectrum available on the equipment but not asking if its
possible more, is there software that (ideally opensource) that will
do this?

-Kelly

There is no known mechanism in the software realm that will
encrypt or decrypt on the fly if your intentions are to say
have every call you make "encrypted". Supposing you had uber
product A installed and configured to properly encrypt your
sessions. You'd need that same software or hardware on the
other end to perform the functions as well. Period.

You're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to VoIP
and POTS. You need some software mechanisms to encrypt on
both ends. How do you propose the phone on the other end
of a POTS line decrypt. They'd need some hardware to do
the conversion after the VoIP trunk to PSTN termination.
It would have to be some form of IP in some form of telco
equipment to do such a thing.

Anyhow, enjoy the reading:

http://www.fiercevoip.com/story/hyping-voip-encryption/2008-05-05
http://voipservices.tmcnet.com/feature/articles/22457-voip-encryption-protection-against-eavesdroppers.htm
http://zfoneproject.com/faq.html#pots

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo

"A good district attorney can indict a ham sandwich
if he wants to ... The accusations harm as much as
the convictions ... they're obviously harmful or it
wouldn't be news.." - John Carter

wget -qO - www.infiltrated.net/sig|perl

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3AC173DB

Relevant Pages

  • Compressed VoIP leaves eavesdropping clues
    ... VoIP services such as Skype encrypt conversations but law enforcement agencies, most notably in Germany, have complained this can hinder law enforcement investigations. ... But the technique, when applied to encrypted VoIP streams, means that larger packets of scrambled data are associated with complex sounds such as "ow" than simple consonants, such as "c". ... Boffins from John Hopkins University in Baltimore, USA have found that the relative size of packets in a VoIP conversation might be used to detect whether words or phrases of interest appear in encrypted conversations. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Android app automatically encrypts VoIP voice calls
    ... instant messaging and VoIP. ... If only a few encrypt their communications ... they'll automatically become suspect. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Android app automatically encrypts VoIP voice calls
    ... but now the NSA knows you are interested in encrypting your voip ... This means you bear watching. ... That's why I'm rooting for EVERYONE to encrypt all their e-mail, ...
    (alt.privacy)