Height of paranoia

It's a given that all workstations have XP firewall enabled, an enterprise grade antivirus and Windows defender installed. I am the security guy.

The need is that there are a couple top management executives that have highly confidential data/emails residing on their desktops, and quite a few times, the information seems to have leaked out.

Discounting the 'word of mouth' of their secretaries or the end recipients of that information, I want to take as many precautions from the IT security perspective as possible and even bring our domain admins and helpdesk personnel into the realm of doubt.

We have a Windows 20003/exchange 2003 environment of about a 2000 users. Here's what I have thought:

1. If I detach these executive PCs from the domain. Mails will stop landing in MS Outlook. Is there a way around? Also DNS security doesn't register any PC unless it's joined to a domain. I thought of this to make it out of bounds by system/domain admins. I have a feeling that their port 3389 gets accessed when they aren't around.

2. Alternatively, create a private vlan on the core switch and make these PCs as it's members. Put an ACL and deny everything except ports required to authenticate to AD and exchange and few other web applications. Monitor port memberships regularly.

3. How to secure their emails from exchange admins (it's the height, I know).

Pls advise!!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Some new SSH exploit script?
    ... So for those small sites or sites only allowing ssh in for specific persons such as a few admin and perhaps a few application maintainers, and even a vendor or two, we find it easier to maintain the standard port and restrict access in the firewall and tcpd to specific addresses, and on occasion users via sshd_config settings as well. ... Log cruft is a pretty lame reason and rational for making a choice to implement a non-standard port setting, admins should have the skills to filter and parse logs in a manner such that the cruft does not interfere with their daily log monitoring chores, else they have likely a lot of other cruft that must as well be driving them to near madness as well not relating to sshd and the kiddie brute-forcing tool of the week. ... I believe in security in-depth, but this depth is so superficial, I ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!
    ... > a normal port for SQL server *until* MSDE came out. ... Paul -- what ever happened to the first rule (maybe its the second ... Perhaps some of the .edu admins need to first ... design concepts and security. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Height of paranoia
    ... I am the security guy. ... The need is that there are a couple top management executives that have ... bounds by system/domain admins. ... I have a feeling that their port 3389 gets ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • comp.security.unix and comp.security.misc frequently asked questions
    ... Can I turn off identd? ... to learn about computer security? ... Niles and Jyrki Havia for tripwire bug details as posted to the newsgroup. ... connecting from port 20546 on your machine to port 25 on 205.238.143.33. ...
    (comp.security.misc)