RE: Choosing unique passwords - how paranoid is too paranoid?

You are by far the most instance password *lover* I have yet seen. You must
be

1- really good in maths
2- really love security

:)

Listen, I understand the main issue, and the situation you are in is no good.
Having to do all those calculation for a password for EVERY system is very
bad.

You seem to rely too much on a password for security.
Your password could be sniffed, your session could be hijacked and theres a
lot more exploit than these (you may already know this).

I'm trying to take you to a place where passwords are a security means of
protecting a system no more. You have to remember that IDS, firewall and many
more system will limit access. (I know username + password may bypass a
firewall). But an ids may detect your un-usual presence at 2am.
A log review may also detect, this. A scheduled for your account could
prevent your access.. and so on.

Password needs to be very strong, but don't over freak on it ;)

Personally I would use a strong pass phrase, with very limited special
characters. For exemple:

Ireallydohatemondays -- 20 character long password, very easy and 1 upper
char. Add ! or #, $ in it if you please.

Merci / Thanks
Philippe Rivest, CEH
Vérificateur interne en sécurité de l'information
Courriel: Privest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Téléphone: (514) 331-4417
www.transforce.ca