Captain Bock

After sending my first message I googled for SPF and found some of the
sources I used before. I guess this strategy is still a valid one.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Jens C. Laundrup <laundrup@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you Google SenderID you can read about it. It is still in use and
growing. It is not a foolproof solution but it is another rock we can throw
in the spammers' path.

Cheers,

-----Original Message-----
From: securityfocus2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:securityfocus2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Captain Bock
Sent: Thursday, 10 April, 2008 02:22
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Protection against fake mails

A few years ago, I needed to add an SPF record to my domains because some
banking servers required it.
I guess this was also an interesting solution.
Does someone know what's the state of the art of SPF?

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Mark Owen <mr.markowen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:37 PM, WALI <hkhasgiwale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > How do I guard against such emails originating from fake email >
> impersonations. Is there something I can do at our email gateway,
> proxy or > exchange sever (2003) levels?
> >

> Basic protection is to only allow e-mail originating from your domain
> name to be allowed from a specific set of trusted mail servers. This
> will protect you internally from fake e-mails spoofing your domain but
> will not block other spoofed domains. Spoofed e-mails from other
> domains may be blocked by relying on reverse DNS lookup and comparing
> the resultant domain with that of the one specified in the e-mail, but
> this will also block misconfigured servers and some sites on shared
> hosting. Long answer short, if you don't want to miss any e-mails
> then theres really not much you can do.
>
> What you can do to prove that your domain is not spoofed is to enable
> DomainKeys[1] on your server. If everyone did this then blocking fake
> e-mails would be possible.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys
>

> --
> Mark Owen

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Protection against fake mails
    ... It is not a foolproof solution but it is another rock we can throw ... Subject: Protection against fake mails ... name to be allowed from a specific set of trusted mail servers. ... Spoofed e-mails from other ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Protection against fake mails
    ... I needed to add an SPF record to my domains because ... > How do I guard against such emails originating from fake email ... name to be allowed from a specific set of trusted mail servers. ... Spoofed e-mails from other ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: SMPT broken for about 19 years
    ... I was involved with SPF integration ... There really is no Forwarding problem that needs to ... Forwarding the old way is a form of an open relay. ... I'm actually startled if you're using SCO servers as your external mail ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Help with incoming mail restrictions?!
    ... I have 2 Exchange Server 2003 servers receiving e-mail. ... Recipients who are not in the Directory" toggle. ... There has to be a way to just totally ignore these e-mails. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange2000.admin)
  • Re: SPF Records
    ... This is a soft fail which still provides an SPF result, ... as many DNS servers cannot handle TCP records. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.dns)