From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Albert R. Campa
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 2:22 PM
To: security-basics
Subject: Port Security on switches?

Do you use it? Is it a good idea network wide? Yes I guess it could be
an administrative pain but I want to see how it is used these days.

Is there an alternative?

My concern is people connecting non authorized laptops to the network
and getting an IP then access. What is a common/effective way to be
notified of any new device connected to the network?

Sure we have physical security(guards 24/7) in our main building,
badge access security in our other building, but visitors such as
vendors, contractors, etc come often and its basically left up to
their sponsors to ensure they dont connect anything to a free port on
the wall.

Comments are appreciated.

Albert