RE: remote authentication

Only down side to the voicemail thing, is that users tend to use Dates
of importance as their password, and even on systems that require you
change it on an interval, they find a way to use the same one over or
just change it from 0 to 1 as the leading digit.

Without thinking about it, I have got several peoples voicemail
passwords, used to do it as a training session point. Imagine their
surprise when I crack it, with only knowing them for a few minutes.

One Time passwords are becoming common place now, but the number must be
on record normally. So I call in from my home phone (or desk), ask that
you reset my password. You verify my user name, then send a password
via text to the cell on record, where the password requires to be
changed on first login. Not perfect mind you, but cheaper than an
expensive voice service.

Another thought would be to have a "security" person at the site, who's
voice you can verify. End user calls, you verify user name again, then
call the "security" person, give them the temp password. Again
requiring change on first login.

Issue is that no matter what, unless they come in person, any system can
be adverted.

Just my two copper pieces......