From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of amatachick@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: 11 March 2008 14:37
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RE: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?

You're right Nick,

You need 250,000 packets to crack WEP. So it really depends on network
traffic. It could be possible to send that many packets in 30 seconds on
a large network. Cracking WEP on someone's home network would probably
take much longer.

Amy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?
    ... A normal network with 1 client can usually be cracked within 3minutes which include, preparation of the program sending packet, receiving ivy, cracking. ... You need 250,000 packets to crack WEP. ... Cracking WEP on someone's home network would probably take much longer. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Wireless network security
    ... >> over 30 for the typical home user. ... > packets." ... I have not tried to crack WEP myself. ... If there aren't enough relevant packets, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Questions re WEP encryption
    ... Once enough packets have been gathered, AirSnort can guess the ... it currently takes far fewer packets. ... Wireless Hacking: Breaking Through ... How to Crack WEP, Part 2: ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Sendmail cant send mail when Iptables is on
    ... > How about a log from iptables showing what packets you're dropping? ... Hi Tim, ... I have a home network - I have DSL with SBC. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Ethereal
    ... I have 8 computers in my home network and I want to log the network ... activity and study the different packets with the protocols, ... Therefor I installed Ethereal on one of my computers with Suse Linux Pro ... I wanted to capture packets from a specific PC, I just had to put in the ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)