Re: How safe / unsafe is Free Open WiFi?

On 2008-03-11 Nick Duda wrote:
Not to go off topic too much, but my understanding is that WEP, while
it can be cracked is still hard to crack for the average home based on
the number of WEP packets that you need to capture in order to crack
WEP. Cracking it on a corporate network with lots of WEP activity
would be easier.

Is this not the case anymore?

It isn't, because the attacker can induce as much traffic as he needs.
Also the number of packets required for a successful attack has
dramatically decreased (see [1]).

[1] http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Relevant Pages

  • >>>> CRACK WEP <<<<
    ... Wep Crack Windows Xp Download ... Wep Key Crack ...
    (sci.math)
  • Re: Does WEP key give away access to my data to another computer?
    ... WPA is much ... hobbyists and a handfull of pros--know how to break WEP. ... Anyone who really wants to crack WEP and has access to the Internet can ... email to oshea dot j dot j at gmail dot com. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: AP WEP Vulnerablility when there are no associated clients
    ... crack my WEP or are there other tools that can be used to inject packets into my network resulting in my AP responding the tons of IV's nessecary to crack the key? ... See above and if not, as soon as you start using your network, they just deauth you then capture the arp upon reauth and then inject. ... only packets from the AP are being detected. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: Wireless Scanning
    ... it took a LOT of traffic to get enough weak IVs to crack ... Just a comment on using a WEP cracking programs. ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: Templeton Trail, Sedona, AZ
    ... Did he have the security set at it's highest level, ... His security was at the highest level and the router/access point pw was changed, but he didn't have the right access code typed in for the client adapter. ... I can easily crack most WEP codes with a simple and readily available utility. ...
    (alt.mountain-bike)