From: Chris Barber <cmbarber@xxxxxxxxx>
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 11 January, 2008 2:36:02 AM
Subject: ISO IEC 27002 (ISO-17799) assistance please.

I am hoping that the experts on this list might be able to assist me
with problem. I have a consultant who is doing some audit work for
the company I work for. This consultant has been quoting information
about best business practice and standards and has my managment in a
bit of a tizzy. So far I have been able to prove or disprove most
things that he has been telling my managment, but I am stuck one and
it seems that this item has struck a nerve.

The consultant has claimed that both NIST and ISO-17799 recomend the
use of automated workstation locking after X minutes. I have found
information on the NIST Standard but have not been able to find
anything on the ISO-17799 standard (or atleast not without buying it).
Does anyone on the list happen to have a copy of ISO-17799, if so
could you help me prove or disprove this comment?

I have done several google searches and all of the links I get end up
asking me to purchase the Standard. I think having it would be a good
thing, just that I do not have money in my budget to purchase it.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris.

  • RE: ISO IEC 27002 (ISO-17799) assistance please.
    ... This consultant has been quoting information ... information on the NIST Standard but have not been able to find ... anything on the ISO-17799 standard. ... just that I do not have money in my budget to purchase it. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: ISO IEC 27002 (ISO-17799) assistance please.
    ... I have a consultant who is doing some audit work for ... This consultant has been quoting information ... anything on the ISO-17799 standard. ... just that I do not have money in my budget to purchase it. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • ISO IEC 27002 (ISO-17799) assistance please.
    ... I have a consultant who is doing some audit work for ... This consultant has been quoting information ... anything on the ISO-17799 standard. ... just that I do not have money in my budget to purchase it. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: ISO IEC 27002 (ISO-17799) assistance please.
    ... They have done some good work mapping multiple standards to the Common Configuration Enumeration standard. ... This consultant has been quoting information ... just that I do not have money in my budget to purchase it. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Brian Kernighan, maybe Im not worthy, maybe Im scum
    ... unimplemented or little-implemented standard. ... the person correcting him for bring it to his attention, ... Because C as a language is defined IN PRACTICE, ... as authority goes, authority on unmoderated newsgroups is a fanciful ...
    (comp.programming)