Re: microsoft updates

On 2008-01-02 Worrell, Brian wrote:
On 2007-12-31 Dave Koontz wrote:
Umm... check out Windows Genuine Advantage. Pirated copies will
fail updates (as they should).

No, they shouldn't. Not being able to update won't magically make
people buy Windows instead of running pirated copies. They'll just
cease updating, so we'll continue to have a healthy bot population.
Thank you, Microsoft.

Many Pirated copies of XP I have seen where infected with Trojans or
had files missing in the first place.

But that aside, if M$ let people update pirated copies, would that not
let more people think they can pirate it, rather than buy it? Which
would make a larger bot network by your theory?

I don't think that prohibiting updates (or making updating an annoyance)
for users of pirated copies will have much influence on the sold to
pirated copies ratio. Like I said before it's much more likely that
people will continue to run pirated copies and simply stop updating.

So, without WGA you have a significant number of pirated copies with a
nonzero chance that they will be patched up. With WGA you'll have
roughly the same number of pirated copies, only now most of them won't
be patched.

I'd say it's rather clear which scenario makes the larger bot net.

cu
59cobalt
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: What OS for a separate file server box? was Re: The Terabyte Hard Drive i
    ... >> Not if you use a pirate copy. ... > Pirate copy = hard to get updates and patches. ... And you dont necessarily need then with a file server anyway. ... patches and just use service packs too. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: microsoft updates
    ... fail updates. ... so we'll continue to have a healthy bot population. ... let more people think they can pirate it, ... "All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Installing SP2 without activating XP
    ... cannot activate because I believe it is a pirate copy. ... That would be auto-update critical updates.. ... retail versions on more than one computer at home and, most likely, they do get updates.. ... but I have no doubt that they would squawk like all hell if somebody was to illegally appropriate stuff of theirs.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What OS for a separate file server box? was Re: The Terabyte Hard Drive i
    ... >>> Not if you use a pirate copy. ... >> Pirate copy = hard to get updates and patches. ... > patches and just use service packs too. ... > Completely trivial to avoid too, just dont update or patch. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Installing SP2 without activating XP
    ... cannot activate because I believe it is a pirate copy. ... The second is to revalidate your XP for downloads from Windows Updates. ... if you take a pirated version to the Windows Update site to manually retrieve updates, WGA will weed it out and not give access.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)