Re: What does it mean for a vulnerability to be retired?

On Dec 21, 2007, at 1:11 PM, Terra Frost wrote:

<http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/26885> is an example of a
vulnerability whose status has been changed to RETIRED. My question
is.. what, exactly, does that mean?

The meaning varies. In this case, it means that SecurityFocus believes the issue was bogus, which is what they say under the Discussion section:

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/26885/discuss

[As an aside, retiring this was probably a mistake -- there is definitely an issue with WordPress as subsequent discussions on the Bugtraq mailing list have shown.]

In other cases, SecurityFocus might mark an BID as retired because they have split out the issues into separate BIDs, as they did recently with BID 26929, for various issues in Adobe's Flash Player plugin.

George
--
theall@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lunatics
    ... >>> West North East South ... > The lunatic bids 5D on the theory that partner is short in hearts and ... His partner knew the preempts at that vulnerability ... are basically opening bids and opener did not bid 3C but 2C at his ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: 1H - 1N - 3H
    ... vulnerability and scoring conditions and has not himself stretched. ... I'm sorry, I remain fairly simple, and for me an invitational bid remains invitational. ... particularly in the light of experience on this newsgroup, where people seem to count a stiff DK as not a couple of point for a stiff, not a couple of points for a king, but like to have their cake and eat it too: ... I would not, in short, be surprised to find partner with something like AQTxxx Kxx K Kxx and which may make 3 or four or may go down one or two. ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Lunatics
    ... >> West North East South ... His partner knew the preempts at that vulnerability ... are basically opening bids and opener did not bid 3C but 2C at his ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Has your partnership discussed this double?
    ... If it matters, the game is imps. ... Comment on whether vulnerability ... I bid 5D. ... Figure pard already adjusted for vulnerability. ...
    (rec.games.bridge)
  • Re: Strength to bid weak NT
    ... bid 2D if he's happy to play there opposite diamonds. ... I typically overcall as follows: ... KQ109xx x Axx xxx is a 2S overcall at any vulnerability. ...
    (rec.games.bridge)