Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, its confusing!!!

Hello List,

I have an issue at a customers site regarding GP that goes a little like this:

I have created a policy named no internet. I have created a security group named the same. In this group are so many users based across the country that I want to limit the internet usage, therefore I have created a false proxy @ 0.0.0.0 that all their internet use has to pass through. This gives the expected result where no pages are displayed regardless of which site the user goes to. I have also created some exceptions for this policy, which do not use the proxy, i.e.

www.homepageofcompany.com, www.siteiwanttoallow.com, www.theusercangohere.co.uk.

This is done by setting the 'user configuration > Internet Explorer > Connection > Proxy Settings > Exceptions'. The desired output is that user's logon and can access these sites, but any other non specified site wont work.

----I hope this makes sense so far----

Then by setting the 'Admin Template > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Disable Changing Proxy Settings' to enabled effectively grays out the proxy settings in internet explorer and stops the user from altering the settings.

OK, this is where the issues start. When I toggle the 'Admin Template > Windows Components > Internet Explorer > Disable Changing Proxy Settings' between enable and disable, and update the policy on the local machine via GPUPDATE, or even from the server by forcing the update, everything works and the proxy is enabled and disabled as specified.

However, when I try to make changes to any part of the user config, the policy does not seem to initialise. What I mean is any sites I add to the exception list do not appear and the end result is the user can not access any sites at all. I have logged on and off, and re-booted workstation all to no effect.

Any suggestions on why the user configuration portion of the Group Policy does not work would be much appreciated. I am sure all the permissions are set correctly, i.e. the apply GP settings, read settings etc. If they wasn't, then surely no part of the policy would work, would it?

TIA,

Jono

Get Pimped! FREE emoticon packs from Windows Live - http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, its confusing!!!
    ... Applied Group Policy Objects ... Small Business Server Internet Connection Firewall ... Secure Proxy Server: 0.0.0.0:80 ... Import the current Content Ratings Settings: ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: How to prevent a terminal user from running applications
    ... TS Internet users as above with internet explorer ... Right click your domain and select tab group policy. ... with a user account in the TS user group to view your settings. ... No "Computers Near Me" in My Network Places - Enabled ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • RE: Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, its confusing!!!
    ... Group Policy Connundrum - Stick with it, ... Small Business Server Internet Connection Firewall ... Secure Proxy Server: 0.0.0.0:80 ... Import the current Content Ratings Settings: ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Internet Explorer - Proxy exceptions entered disappear??
    ... When using GP to configure proxy settings then you need to tell the firewall ... You asked about applying proxy exceptions to select workstations. ... has the exceptions that you added to the Default Domain Policy and then put ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Terminal server settings
    ... Internet Files size in Group Policy console. ... you will see Corporate Settings and Internet ... If a policy is already defined, you must click Reset Browser Settings ... For additional information about how to set Advanced Settings by using ...