PII SSN question

A question for those who have worked on PII and Social Security Number (SSN).

What are the storage and transmission security requirements for SSN?
Are we allowed to store SSN? What are the rules and/or regulation
that apply? What does IT have to do to protect it?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Relevant Pages

  • =?windows-1252?Q?It=92s_the_Social_Security_Number=2C_Stupid=21?=
    ... WHERE DID OBAMA OBTAIN THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER HE IS USING? ... this SSN with the first being it appears to have been originally ... T-Room Interview w/Private Investigator, Susan Daniels ...
    (alt.politics)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?It=92s_the_Social_Security_Number=2C_Stupid=21?=
    ... WHERE DID OBAMA OBTAIN THE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER HE IS USING? ... this SSN with the first being it appears to have been originally ... T-Room Interview w/Private Investigator, Susan Daniels ...
    (alt.politics.bush)
  • Re: Social Security Help
    ... > I would print this and have it to show the employer. ... > Delays in Issuing SSNs to Aliens by the Social Security Administration ... > based solely on the fact that the person does not have an SSN. ...
    (misc.immigration.usa)
  • Re: Let me clarify something about drivers licenses
    ... Falls I had to get a Social Security card if I wanted to keep the job. ... Withholding taxes are automatic, even without an SSN. ... the age of about 14, since they were used for income tracking purposes, ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Beware of Radio Shack
    ... >> the man in front of me for his social security number. ... The Social Security number (SSN) was originally devised to keep an ... authority for requesting the information; ... we recommend the publication at ...
    (sci.electronics.equipment)