New Spam Technique

Hi List,

We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have noticed
a lot of Mailer Daemon 'delivery failed messages mails from genuine
sites (mostly German)arriving recently. It would seem the spammers are
sending out e-mails with a PDF attachment and a forged senders address
to bogus recipients at these organizations whose mail server rejects the
message and sends notification to the forged sender. We have opened one
attachment on an isolated machine and it was one of the 'watch these
stocks they're going through the roof messages (not exactly sure of the
details as my German is a bit rusty). My concern is that there could be
a 'payload' embedded in the PDF. Is this possible?

--
The Simple Server Company
PO Box 51528

021 413642 09 5768552

http://www.simpleserverco.com

This e-mail and any attached files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the addressees. If you have recieved
this e-mail in error please inform the sender by sending a reply and

  • Re: New Spam Technique
    ... We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have noticed ... sending out e-mails with a PDF attachment and a forged senders address ... and intended solely for the use of the addressees. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New Spam Technique
    ... We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have noticed ... sending out e-mails with a PDF attachment and a forged senders address ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: New Spam Technique
    ... that pdf attachment contains the advertisement or the image. ... there is no appliance works on this perfectly. ... We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have noticed ... sending out e-mails with a PDF attachment and a forged senders address ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Email domain name in headers
    ... using the AD .local domain in the HELO, many mail servers ... initial headers can be forged, ... the IP address which sent it to the first genuine relay host. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: New Spam Technique
    ... Subject: New Spam Technique ... that pdf attachment contains the advertisement or the image. ... We operate several mail servers with catch all accounts and have ... stocks they're going through the roof messages (not exactly sure of ...
    (Security-Basics)