Re: How to find a process

To identify the Windows process that is sending out TCP/IP traffic... on the source system, you can install just about any free or not-free client-based / personal firewall software.

You can also install Microsoft's free Port Reporter, though it doesn't say whether it is compatible with Windows Vista yet:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=69ba779b-bae9-4243-b9d6-63e62b4bcd2e

If the results come back that "System" or SVCHOST.EXE is generating the traffic, then you'll have to use a trick to try to find out which subordinate process is actually generating the traffic.

kind regards,

Karl Levinson
http://securityadmin.info

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Vista update KB938371 fails to install. error code 80073715
    ... It always comes back OK after re-booting, but it is annoying and doesn't give me good feelings about the stability of Windows Vista. ... You stated that you tried " running the download installer package ". ... After rebooting, I tried again to install KB 938371, once through Windows update and once through running the downloaded installer package. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Unexpected recurring but very intermitant ding.
    ... Core task of the Windows Vista Task Scheduler. ... During that clean install process, let Vista update and that can take more ... Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 7.00.6000.16386 * ...
  • Re: Error Code 80073712 - Windows Vista SP2
    ... Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2. ... beginning the install. ... Firewall _before installing or uninstalling_ Vista SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: installation of KB905866 failed, error 800B0100
    ... I wanted to install a firewall program but haven't done so. ... Did you upgrade to this McAfee application from an earlier McAfee application? ... and Support through email, it says "An unknown application error ... 'Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista' ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: My screen is yellow after a failed Update
    ... an ATI card or one the clones based on an ATI chip, ... their Catalyst software was, in the past, based on .NET. ... Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista ... I sincerely hope that you didn't try to install 16 updates in one ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)