From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of graciejj_82@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 4:28 AM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Where to start?

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to a career in the security field. Specifically,
I'm interested in Pentesting. I concider myself "early" in my
education, and have alot to learn, but my biggest concern is, where do I
need to start?

I mean, what do I need to learn about to become a pentester, and where
can i gather and explore my knowlage?

In order to not leave this question TOTALLY OPEN, I'll give a quick
background of what I know so far.

I'm currently enrolled in classes to learn to be a Network/Server Admin,
including classes in Cisco, Basic Hardware and Microsoft Servers. I
currently hold certification for CCNA 1&2, and hope to get 3&4 in June
of this year.

Also, I have a linux server, and a couple of linux VM's that I've been
learning on. And I'm fiddling with "C" right now to get a basic
background in programming. But with the knowlage I have, I don't think
I could offer any value in a pentest. I've done some port scans of
various, random IPs (sorry if I gave any of you a scare at work :), and
I've seen open ports, but I dont' know what to do next...

So, what information do i need to study to start getting a grasp of what
I would be doing in my job? (other than just start hacking random
computers, which I'd rather not do)

I appreciate your help,

Michael
This communication, along with any attachments, is covered by federal and state law governing electronic communications and may contain company proprietary and legally privileged information.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this in error, please reply immediately to the sender and delete this message. Thank you.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: OT question about photo websites and private photos
    ... fashion to make it secure is a very poor one. ... you said the videos would ... relying on a URL as your security is insecure. ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: WARNING: IJDB membership fee as of 09
    ... volenteers at conventions, watching others videos for inspiration, and all ... community works, if we charge it will fall. ... exclusivity problem for any new jugglers out there looking to improve. ...
    (rec.juggling)
  • RE: Re: Video tutorials for beginners?
    ... Certified Information Systems Security Professionals ... security basics, conference videos, security programming, etc. ... Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: new security tutorials (videos in flash) web site announcement
    ... just a little note to let you know that I have created a new security ... I'm afraid I did not find a lot of merit in these videos, ... education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. ... Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations. ...
    (Security-Basics)