RE: When IT Manager breaks rules

And get that 'bitch slap' clause included in the security policy. I want one
of those too.

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Toby Barrick
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:04 AM
To: armfield@xxxxxxxx
Cc: WALI; security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: When IT Manager breaks rules

I have been reading this thread for a while and there seems to be a lot
of solutions but no correct answers to your specific question. If your
IT manager is side stepping "rules" what are they? Are they company
mandated rules, Gov't regulations or what. Are the rules accepted and
promoted by "the company" as LAW, or just suggestions.

If they are accepted as the law - - then bitch slap the guy and escalate
as high as it takes to get his compliance. If the "rules" are just
suggestions, I would recommend quitting your job since you are the
security dude "in charge" and appear to have no enforcement capability.
A very bad spot to be in. You will be held accountable for ALL security
infractions be it by an IT manager, or Joe Blow visitor to your

Just my two cents.

Raoul Armfield wrote:
We use a solution similar to what CAM Fischer is talking about. We use
Microsoft Identity Integration Service (MIIS). This reads an export
from the HR database and creates accounts and places them in the
appropriate OU.